POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Radiosity champions, here's something for you ! : Re: Radiosity champions, here's something for you ! Server Time
7 Aug 2024 07:11:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity champions, here's something for you !
From: Fabien Mosen
Date: 18 Dec 2001 12:47:27
Message: <3C1F81A1.4070102@skynet.be>
Warp wrote:

> Fabien Mosen <fab### [at] skynetbe> wrote:
> : (and, while you're hands in it, add a switch to ignore reflection and
> :   refraction in radiosity samples !!!!)
>
>   Why?

IMO, it's the source of many artifacts (as it causes important
variations in a surface's visible colors).

IMO, in reality, refl. and refr. doesn't contribute much to
diffuse interreflection, if at all.  Especially slightly reflective
surfaces, such as a wooden table, metallic computer case...

Look at Jaime's office images in pbi., for a great demonstration.

AFAICT (also based on quick tests I asked to their users), commercial
radiance packages *doesn't* take that in account.  That's probably
an important explanation of the wonderful speed and absence of artifacts
seen in stuff like Brazil, Mental Ray, Final Render, etc...

Fabien.