POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PC Configuration : Re: PC Configuration Server Time
7 Aug 2024 01:25:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PC Configuration
From: Adrien Beau
Date: 18 Dec 2001 05:51:44
Message: <3C1F2005.5687CA96@free.fr>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> In article <3c1ea50e@news.povray.org> , "Kirk Hubbell" <kir### [at] yahoocom>
> wrote:
>
> > I know the DDR is faster but I have heard that streaming applications (not
> > computative intensive ones) are the big winners.
>
> What is a "streaming application"?

I don't know what this means, but I do know that DDR is better
at working on huge amounts of contiguous data, such as gigantic
meshes, enormous image maps, etc. SDRAM is said to be better
for lots of small, independant memory transfers. Hardware sites
such as the one Fabien mentionned are much better at explaining
this than me.

--
Adrien Beau   adr### [at] freefr   http://adrien.beau.free.fr/