POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-City : Re: POV-City Server Time
7 Aug 2024 09:22:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-City
From: Matt Walton
Date: 17 Dec 2001 15:26:30
Message: <3C1E54FB.6030009@alledora.co.uk>
s1631001 wrote:

> Matt Walton wrote:
>
>>What would be nice for the website is some indication of what kind of
>>values the macros will return under certain conditions, when I looked
>>yesterday there wasn't any - it wouldn't be much good if snowy sculpture
>>appeared when POV-City thinks it's the middle of summer!
>>

> Umm... If you mean some way to let the user know what time of year it
> is, you can use the PVC_date_now() macro (see the "Global Stuff"
> section). In POV-City, every Christmas is a white one, so you don't need
> to check if it has snowed yet, just the time of year; POV-City winter
> will start around November and continue until January.

What I actually want is more detail on the return values of the PVC
macros. Sure, it says that PVC_time_now() returns from 0 to 1, but does
that mean 0 is 0000 hours and 1 is also 0000 hours with 0.5 being 1200
hours? When's sunset? When's sunrise?

I assume PVC_weather_forecast(n) returns the same values as
PVC_weather_now(), but it would be nice to have it explicitly said.
Also, what are the components of the vector returned by PVC_date_now()?
<day, month, year>? <month, day, year>? <year, month, day>? And is it
y2k-compliant? ;-)

Okay, so I'm fussy. I must have picked that up somewhere when I was
learning C++.

Now I must stop being picky and go model some sculptures. I thought that
a shop where you can buy glass spheres on chequered planes is a little
too much for me (at the moment at least, need more POV experience!) but
I see no reason not to have a glass sphere on a chequered pedestal in
the middle of a park...

Matt