POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Radiosity champions, here's something for you ! : Re: Radiosity champions, here's something for you ! Server Time
7 Aug 2024 11:24:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity champions, here's something for you !
From: Fabien Mosen
Date: 16 Dec 2001 09:29:41
Message: <3C1CAF12.40806@skynet.be>
Ari-Matti Leppanen wrote:

> These aren't good looking, just testing this trick.

Is what you did *really* equivalent to bypassing the reflection in
radiance samples ?

There is one thing I'm absolutely sure of : LightScape, which renderings
are found great by most everyone, *doesn't* account reflection for it's
radiance solution calculation.  In fact, due to it's algorithm, it
*can't* !  Energy transfers can't take specular reflection into account.
Also, please note it doesn't even take *textures* in account (for the
same reason), only a plain diffuse color.  Finally, it doesn't render
bumps, but that's another issue.

As far as I could gather information, other radiance engines,
monte-carlo/bidirectional/photons/... based, also *don't* take specular
reflection into account.

Fabien.