POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-City : Re: POV-City Server Time
7 Aug 2024 09:23:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-City
From: s1631001
Date: 12 Dec 2001 04:55:11
Message: <3C172745.F257F1E8@namtar.qub.ac.uk>
Xplo Eristotle wrote:

> Speaking of which, I'm curious: first, how will you be handling
> rendering the city (will you have a scripted backend that renders on
> demand, or do occasional rerenders for different times by hand as
> necessary, or some other means)?

I'll be using an interface scenefile which renders pictures of the
various plots; it will also have options to display a picture of the
entire city and to cycle through all the plots, rendering a frame for
each one. I also have a separate scenefile which renders a top-down view
using coloured blocks to represent the plots (I'll use this to generate
maps). I can re-render people's plots as and when they are updated
(along with any neighbouring plots which might be affected by the
change)

> Second, how are you handling weather
> effects? Do you have some system for generating skies and such?
> Moon/stars? Any thoughts on physical realism? (Simulating a realistic
> sky might be too hard and/or demanding on the system - I know *I've* had
> limited success - but reproducing natural cycles should be easier.) Or
> are you looking for someone to handle all of this?

I was going to use a SkyBlue & White bozo texture for daytime sky and a
granite for nighttime, but sunrise/sunset will cause me some headaches!
If anyone has a good way to generate good sky textures depending on the
time of day (PS: PVC_time_now() returns a value ranging from 0 to 1 ),
please let me know!
As to the weather itself, I hope to set up a PVC Met Office; slightly
different from other weather Bureaus, this one actually *makes* the
weather! PVC:MET's job will be to define solutions for things like cloud
textures, rain, lightning, etc. If you join PVC:MET, you also get the
fun job of deciding what the weather will be like! Now who's never
wanted to do that?

--
signature{
  "Grey Knight"