POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-City : Re: POV-City Server Time
7 Aug 2024 11:25:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-City
From: s1631001
Date: 6 Dec 2001 08:20:12
Message: <3C0F6E32.A14BE3F7@namtar.qub.ac.uk>
Sorry Ken; I've stripped out the image file from this post. I'll just go
fix some of my others now...

Trevor Quayle wrote:

> Since it is POV-City, you will need a store where you can purchase
> reflective spheres on checkered planes ;)
>
> -tgq

LOL!

MAP
===
There's a rough map of PVC-II available on request; not to scale (I have
a POV script which scans the PVC Register to draw a little map like
this, but I forgot to bring a rendered image into uni with me; d'oh!)

The central white square is Ground Zero (which now occupies
(-50,-50)to(50,50). The red block around it is a set of 8 200x200 plots
reserved for the POV-Team; the grey zone around that is "POV-Team
Square", a road owned by the City Council. The bottom vertical road is
"POV-Ray Boulevard", the top one is "David Buck Avenue" (both owned by
City Council). The blue square is my plot (size:300x300), and the
bottom-most white rectangle is the Tourist Information and Welcome
Centre (owned by City Council)

PLOTS
=====
The light green area represents available space; choose any point within
it as your start coord, and pick a plot size (default is 200x200 if none
specified) The green zone extends from (-2400,-2400)to(2400,2400)
currently. The dark green border represents the Edge Zone; edge plots
are not currently available, until I solve a few problems relating to
the geometry of the outer edge.
Again, sorry for the lack of scaling. I'll try to get a scaled image in
place so you can all select your plots easily; if you want to request a
plot now, specify it's position & size as best you can (if it's not near
any existing plots this shouldn't be a problem)
when registering, you should provide the following:
+ Your name as it will appear in the PVC-II registry
+ Your email address (if different from the one you're using for your
application)
+ The name of your plot (eg. "Ken's Mainframe Centre")
+ The position of your plot (x,z)
+ [optional] The size of your plot (x,z)

At any time after you have registered, you may perform the following
actions:
+ email an update of your structure to gre### [at] yahoocom for
inclusion
+ request the width or position of your plot to be changed (note that
the new pos & width you specify must fit in with the surrounding
structures!)
+ transfer ownership of one or more of your plots to another user, or to
the City Council
+ cancel your account, transferring all your plots to another user (or
to the Council)
+ cancel your account, deleting all your plots (the Council has the
right to preserve some of your structures as "historic" if it so
chooses)

You may request a new plot ONLY if all your existing plots contain
completed (or nearly so) strucutres. This is to stop a proliferation of
"under-construction" plots.
Also note that we've changed the plotbox again - sorry! The normailsed
box is now box{ <0,-1,0>,<1,1,1> } as I think this will make it easier
to use your basement area. You should use a solid box with the texture{
PVC_GrassTex } for your basement if you don't want a basement.

VARIABLES & MACROS
==================
All variable/objects/textures/macros used by the PVC-II engine begin
with the string "PVC_". As long as none of your identifiers begin with
this string, there will be no conflicts.
The engine currently contains the following macros, which you can use
(NOTE:I'm recalling these from memory, so the names mightn't be correct;
also, the syntax *may* change in future, although I doubt it)
+ PVC_detail_level_of(point,index)  :  returns the detail level of the
structure with registry number "index", when viewed from "point".
+ PVC_position_of(index)  :  returns the position vector of plot number
+ PVC_width_of(index)  :  returns the width vector of plot number
+ PVC_owner_of(index)  :  returns a string containing the name of the
owner of plot "index"
+ PVC_name_of(index)  :  returns a string containing the name of plot
+ PVC_POP  :  The current number of registered plots

PUBLIC PROPERTY
===============
The two main roads will both be wide multi-lane affairs with a nice big
grassy park area in the middle. If anyone wants to submit models of
plants, picnicking families, sculpture, fountains, etc for this, feel
free to do so (in fact I encourage it!) Submissions will be treated
ANONYMOUSLY; this is to ecourage you all to enjoy just *making* stuff,
without having to show it off. You can also make your own vehicles for
the roads; these CAN be personalised if you want.
The Tourist Information & Welcome Centre is public property, so anyone
can submit a design or partial design for it; the City Council (when
elected) will decide how best to construct it based on that. Don't
forget that the TI&WC is the first thing people will see when coming
into PVC-II, so we want it to look good!

GROUND ZERO
===========
I expect you're all wondering what the big deal is with not being able
to build at GZ. Ground Zero will be the host for a huge sculpture
incorporating the POV logo; I want to base it on Daniel Isdell's entry
for the May-June 1996 IRTC stills round, but I can't get in touch with
him! Can anyone advise?

TRANSPORT NETWORKS
==================
I want the City Council to handle automatically placing
road/rail/monorail/etc networks to connect the various plots
automatically; does anyone know of an algorithim which could handle
stuff like this for us?

LARGE STRUCTURES
================
Once you have completed your first structure, you may apply for a second
plot (then third, etc). If you like, you can connect your properties
using bridges etc. over other people's airspace; but first, YOU MUST GET
PERMISSION FROM THEIR OWNERS!!! You could use this principle to build
your own monorail network...(the Council may make exceptions to the
"one-plot-at-a-time" rule in this instance)

VEHICLES
========
As mentioned, the Council will accept any submissions for road vehicles;
we will also take off-roaders, but these may be moved around
periodically to accomodate new plots (the Council has the right to
move/add/delete anything on Free Land, which is its own playground.) We
will also take aerial vehicles, but no aquatic vehicles will be possible
until someone builds a lake/river; if anyone wants to use a plot(s) to
make something like this, feel free. You can then manage it yourself or
transfer ownership to the Council as you see fit

CITY COUNCIL
============
The Council will be elected by public vote from a list of applicants.
Their tasks are as follows:
+ Road Maintenance: The Council is responsible for all road plots,
except those which are privately owned
+ Free Land:        The Council is responsible for the placement of
trees, wildlife, etc in the Free Land areas.
+ Public Buildings: The Council is responsible for deciding which of the
submitted designs should be used to build these; they may combine/alter
designs to a certain extent if this is necessary.
+ Site Maintenance: It is the Council's job to ensure that the website
is up-to-date at all times.
+ Render & Storage: The Council will render the final images to be used
in the website; it is also responsible for ensuring that the scene files
are accurately stored and backed up regularly.

STRUCTURES
==========
Commercial (eg. shops) and industrial (eg. factories) structures can be
built on your plots; the PVC-II rules do *NOT* require that you build a
residential home. In fact, anything you know how to model, you may do
so. The exception to this is that you must not build anything
deliberately designed to offend (I refer here to the rumour that a
Nazi-decorated structure appeared in PVC-I). The City Council will be
the final arbiter of decisions relating to offensive structures;
possible penalties are (in order of severity):
+ the structure will be forcibly altered to remove the offending
component
+ the structure will be deleted
+ the structure will be deleted and your number de-registered
+ the structure will be deleted, your number de-registered, and you will
not be allowed to register ever again!

ZONING
======
There are no *official* theme zones in PVC-II, apart from POV-Team
Square. However, there is nothing to stop you from deliberately setting
up your plot near to other plots with the same theme, thus creating a
spontaneous zone.

I think that's it for now...

--
signature{