POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Handedness : Re: Handedness Server Time
7 Aug 2024 09:19:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Handedness
From: Andrea Ryan
Date: 4 Dec 2001 20:33:50
Message: <3C0D78E0.FED5EBCA@global2000.net>
My math teacher projects graphs from her calculator onto a screen.  So y
is up and down and z is in and out.  But with our calculators on our
desks, y is toward and away from us and z is up and down.  I read
somewhere that the reason that POV-Ray uses the left-handed coordinate
system is because people are used to seeing graphs on boards and
pointing the y axis up.  But positive rotation is clockwise with POV and
counterclockwise with math classes.  So if POV-Ray adopted y as up, why
not positive rotation as being counterclockwise?  I hope that I'm wrong
about this otherwise there would be a self-contraction.
Brendan