POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Particle systems question for Rune, Jonathan, Tim, Fernando, et al : Re: Particle systems question for Rune, Jonathan, Tim, Fernando, et al Server Time
28 Jul 2024 08:23:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Particle systems question for Rune, Jonathan, Tim, Fernando, et al
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 4 Dec 2001 17:03:57
Message: <3C0D47DD.DBCDD7F2@gmx.de>
Alan Holding schrieb:

> I think the animations produced by all your respective particle systems are
> pretty amazing.  I just have a couple of questions which don't seem to be
> getting asked.
>
> 1.    Are any of you planning to release your systems to the great unwashed
> soon?  (I'd love to beta test if not!)

Well, I'm pretty much wrapping the system together. It's not a system that uses
the trace()-function though, and thus...

> 2.  What's the speed of your respective systems like?  How long does it take
> to parse/render a typical particle scene?  (I realise this is a difficult
> one to answer.  Maybe quoting the times of posted animations would be a good
> guide?)

...and thus it has huge parsing-times (around 1 minute for 300 particles using
"physics"-calculations). Frames are then traced depending on how large the
final blob is.

> 3.  Have any of your tried using non-spherical/non-blob particles?

Yes, it is possible. But the systems mostly rely on calculating one position. So

objects are merely placed at that position. On spheres, you don't see the effect

of rebouncing, which would actually cause the particles to spin or "flop"
around,
like a coin would when hitting the ground in a certain angle.

Regarding the beta-testing:
If you'd send me an ema### [at] TimNikias@gmx.de, I could send you the
system as soon as I've created a little help-file for it, with which you may
be able to understand most of it (though probably not in detail).
If you're looking for the more physically advanced systems, try the others
for some beta-testing, since my system is suited more for object placement
and having several objects move along same paths etc... The simple
"moving masses" stuff...

Ask if you have more detailed questions...

Tim