POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-City : Re: POV-City Server Time
7 Aug 2024 03:20:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-City
From: s1631001
Date: 4 Dec 2001 06:49:53
Message: <3C0CB7EB.A2D2E728@namtar.qub.ac.uk>
Andrea Ryan wrote:

> I remember going through old messages and finding POV-City's page.  It
> has (had?) a few streets, so it should be easy to just connect
> POV-Street's stuff to one of POV-City's streets after properly scaling
> the added lots.  Does the original POV-City still exist somewhere or has
> it disappeared?  Will it need to be started over again?  Maybe we could
> add my museum if it's not too big.  Maybe there could be zoning
> variances for such buildings. :)  Idea: have people set up exhibits
> inside the museum.  I also planned to set up biome domes and
> observatories around it, which will take up even more space.  Maybe they
> should be in a cluster at some distance away, beyond POV-City's horizon
> (like in a different pov file).  There will have to be two versions for
> the exterior and the interior.  I still have not worked on it for months
> and months, so I'll start again right now.
> Brendan

If Pov-Street was still active that would actually be a bad idea,
because it would remove all trace of "specialness" from POV-Street; it's
just another street ina big city. I though maybe we could make
POV-Street a "priveleged" location somehow?

On another note; POV-City II needs public buildings (cathedral, gallery,
university) to host certain features I'm hoping to integrate into it.
Since they're *public* buildings I figured let's let the public design
them! (That's you lot BTW) No need to model anything yet (unless you
want to...), just quick sketches so we can figure out what we want, then
do the actual modelling.

POV-City II will require your structures as an #include file (which can
have sub-includes if you wish) whose final output is
#declare STRUCT_XLEN = [float]
#declare STRUCT_ZLEN = [float]
#declare STRUCT_ELEV = [float]
#declare STRUCT_OBJ = [object]
This should be an object filling the box{ <-1,-.5,-1>, < 1, 1, 1> }.
Note that ground level is y=0, so you should insert a ForestGreen box to
fill in your basement space if you're not using it. You can of course
build your structure at whatever scale/orientation/handedness you like,
then normalize it to this box. The main POV-City II engine will scale
this box using
object{
  STRUCT_OBJ
  scale < STRUCT_XLEN, STRUCT_ELEV, STRUCT_ZLEN>
  translate ...  //#  defined by engine, so don't worry about this.
}
to bring it back up to size; you should use (1 POV= 1 metre) when
specifying your scale values.

--
signature{
  "Grey Knight"