POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Disc which is not flat : Re: Disc which is not flat Server Time
7 Aug 2024 11:20:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Disc which is not flat
From: David Fontaine
Date: 2 Dec 2001 01:30:12
Message: <3C09CB4D.6244AAF0@faricy.net>
Dave Dunn wrote:

> to maintain consistency at the user level (I keep hearing that things should
> hold true in every case, a scale of our object along y by 2 should be able to
> be written "scale y*2," returning the defaults, for an equivalent expression of
> <1,2,1>. IMO, the warning (and certainly not an error) should not be given,
> because the original assumption that default scaling should be <0,0,0>, is
> wrong.

I disagree.  Sometimes the user may write "y*2", but sometimes it may be
caused by a loop or macro and cause unexpected behavior.  Then you can
leave a render going for six hours and see a big ugly sphere in the
middle of it.  It is *never* good programming practice to modify or
accept erroneous input without telling the user.  Warp's idea seems to
have its antagonists, so perhaps POV should have (or does it?) an
configurable option to treat warnings as errors and stop parsing, like
in many compilers.