POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Disc which is not flat : Re: Disc which is not flat Server Time
7 Aug 2024 11:17:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Disc which is not flat
From: Ken
Date: 30 Nov 2001 22:37:14
Message: <3C0850E6.E3385E7D@pacbell.net>
Dave Dunn wrote:

> to maintain consistency at the user level (I keep hearing that things should
> hold true in every case, a scale of our object along y by 2 should be able to
> be written "scale y*2," returning the defaults, for an equivalent expression of
> <1,2,1>.

But the fact is the scale y*2 is not returing a default value because it
should be promoted to scale <0,2,0>. The truth is the program has fault
handling included to automatically adjust for a user syntax fault and
it issues an appropriate warning to that effect. The alternative is to
remove the fault handling and let it return an error instead. IMO the
automatic fault handling with a warning message is a good compromise.

Warp's suggestion punishes you for using bad syntax :)

--
Ken Tyler