POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Parallel / Distributed Network Rendering Included in POV : Re: Parallel / Distributed Network Rendering Included in POV Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:19:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Parallel / Distributed Network Rendering Included in POV
From: Randy Hawley
Date: 23 Nov 2001 23:25:41
Message: <3BFF21C2.A27C4A8@iquest.net>
Perhaps my statements would make more sense when I describe what I would be thinking
about putting together as my "rendering farm".

I own one "fast" computer (albeit not all that fast anymore), and several older, much
slower machines (all Wintel boxes right now - but I am considering dual-booting my
good one with Linux).  They are all networked on a 10Meg ethernet.

The fast computer may be able to parse some scenes about 100 times faster than the
slower ones.  It may be possible to transfer the memory constructs created by the
parsing process to the slower machines faster than they could generate them.  This
would be even more possible were I to have a 100 Meg ethernet.

So, I have a dream.  It may not be practical, but it is a dream.

The "accuracy problem" is supposed to be addressed by the POV program.  The team
mentions that it has worked to keep cross-platform problems at a minimum, including
random number generation.  I don't know enough about the differences in CPU
architecture to speak to differing accuracies in floating-point operations.

Randy Hawley