POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Isosurface and Max gradient : Re: Isosurface and Max gradient Server Time
7 Aug 2024 05:22:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface and Max gradient
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 15 Nov 2001 16:33:39
Message: <3BF434B1.BA0BDDD8@gmx.de>
Josh English wrote:

> I have a quesion about setting the max gradient option in POV-Ray 3.5
> beta. If I move the camera or the isosurface between renders (without
> changing the function of the isosurface) do I need to reevaluate the max gradient?
>
> I am using two isosurfaces and evaluate gave me max gradients of 1.323
> and 1.019.

The maximum gradient is a property of the function so it's always the same
no matter what you do.  But when you use 'evaluate' Povray tries to find
out the maximum gradient and it can come to different or even wrong
results with different situations.  Another thing is that you don't always
need a max_gradient value as high as the true maximum gradient when it
only occurs at places not relevant for finding the intersection.

> In a related matter: Does the render size effect the gradient? the docs
> imply that it doesn't. I guess what I really don't understand is what
> the max_gradient is.

Again it does not influence the true maximum gradient, but holes or
artefacts not occuring in a small size render can become visible at larger
sizes.  Also when you decrease the accuracy value for the larger render
and the function has a strong small scale structure it will usually
require a higher max_gradient.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>