POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : walking : Re: walking Server Time
7 Aug 2024 05:19:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: walking
From: Timothy R  Cook
Date: 12 Nov 2001 18:51:25
Message: <3BF06018.5A563507@scifi-fantasy.com>
Arthur Flint wrote:
> I have seen the term IK and FK used freely on this board. And
> though I understand that they mean Inverse Kinetics and Forward
> Kinetics, just what does that mean?

Inverse Kinematics is a method wherein (since we're talking about
walking, I'll use a leg as example) you move the foot to its end
position, and everything that's attached to it (attempts to) move
appropriately.  Forward Kinematics is where you move each part
manually, i.e. upper leg is fixed at hip move knee relative to hip,
then ankle location relative to knee, then foot relative to ankle.
(Hear the word of the Lord!)

AFAIK, FK is what POV/Moray has.  Poser has IK as an option when
positioning arm/leg, but it's kinda funky because just moving
your foot doesn't take into consideration HOW you're moving your
leg.  It just does the simplest 'point B is the average of A and
C' construct (I think...).

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.scifi-fantasy.com