POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Testing your scene.... : Re: Testing your scene.... Server Time
7 Aug 2024 07:16:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Testing your scene....
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 30 Oct 2001 19:56:26
Message: <3BDF4BDE.1040808@videotron.ca>
Slime wrote:

> First, I set the resolution to 320 x 240 (or 160 x 120 if it's really slow)
> and turn off anything that's unnecessary for testing the effect (including
> AA and other objects in the scene which may take up lots of parsing or
> render time). Then I'll one or both of the following:
>
> A) I'll render it *without* whatever's making it slow, then hold shift and
> select (click & drag) the part of the image that I want to test, and then
> rerender so that only the important part of the image is rendered.
>
> B) I add +SP64 to the command line. This gives a quick mosiac preview, which
> usually gives me a good idea of what's going on in the picture.
>
> With really heavy stuff, it can still take a minute or so to view, but I've
> never really had to deal with unbearably long render times.

Good advice.  I usually do all of the above, and will render a
decent-sized image with all the slow options while I'm sleeping or at
work and judge the results when I come back to the computer.

Build your scenes with a bunch of #declares at the top so it's easily
changeable, such as:

#declare Photons = off;
#declare Radiosity = 1;  // 0 = off, 1 = fast, 2 = Whoa!!!
#declare Boring_Textures = on;
#declare Focal_Blur = off;

and then enclose the affected portions of the scene in an #if statement,
like this:

#if( Boring_Textures )
    #declare My_Texture = texture{ pigment{ color rgb < 1, 0, 0 > }}
#else
    #declare My_texture = ...
#end

/*   videotron.ca  */}camera{location<6,1.25,-6>look_at a orthographic}