POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : question? : Re: question? Server Time
13 May 2024 18:58:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: question?
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 24 Oct 2001 07:47:38
Message: <3BD6A9ED.6050603@videotron.ca>
Philippe.JACQUEROUX wrote:

> If i want to print a poster of a povray image (or other).I need a 300 dpi
> pictures to have a good print.
> But screen only show 72/96 dpi, and i don't know how i could create a 300
> dpi pictures.
> Can someone give me advice about that?

POV doesn't care about dpi (actually, it only does if you intend to
print your image using a printer that has a different horizontal and
vertical resolution).

If you want to print your image at 8"x10" with a 300 dpi resolution,
render it at 2400x3000 pixels.  If required, change the dpi info saved
in the file with an image editor.

Some people have recommended in the past rendering the image at half the
resolution of the printer - in this case 150 dpi - as most printers will
dither the image somewhat and you will not gain much in image crispness,
only image size, by going at full resolution.

You should also do a smaller test print beforehand as colors vary
greatly from your screen to a piece of paper.

/*   videotron.ca  */}camera{location<6,1.25,-6>look_at a orthographic}