POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test.binaries : noise_generator histograms : Re: noise_generator histograms Server Time
28 Sep 2024 18:49:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: noise_generator histograms
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 24 Oct 2001 04:46:30
Message: <3BD67FE5.9DEFE006@gmx.de>
Nathan Kopp wrote:

> [...]
>
> The other functions probably shouldn't be "re-tweaked" because it appears
> there is no tweaking in the current implementation and they are expecting
> plateau-free noise (which is produced by noise generators 2 and 3).
>
> Re-tweaking is easy.  It is done by taking the output from the new Noise
> function, multiplying by 2 and subtracting 0.5.  Then clipping (to the
> interval [0,1]) is done if necessary.  I applied this method to granite to
> produce the attached results.
>
> Attached is an image of the re-tweaked granite rendered using the three
> noise generators.  Note that noise_generator 1 has not changed and produces
> the old 3.1-style output perfectly.  It is interesting to note the clear
> patterns that emerge from noise_generator 3.  This seems to confirm some
> reports that noise_generator 3 doesn't seem to be very random.

I made a another test image with various patterns involved:

http://www.schunter.etc.tu-bs.de/~chris/files/noise_generator_A.png

The structures in granite with noise_generator 3 are really quite obvious,
In the other patterns they seem to be at least less clearly visible.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>