POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Night crowd? : Re: Night crowd? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 07:18:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Night crowd?
From: John VanSickle
Date: 23 Oct 2001 15:57:29
Message: <3BD5CD60.2F7197A4@hotmail.com>
Mahalis wrote:

> I'm working on a new scene- tell y'all about it when it's a bit
> further along- and I was wondering if there's a way to simulate a
> crowd without costing too much extra rendering time. The scene is at
> night, and only the front of the crowd is going to be seen in any
> level of detail. I'm planning to make the "people" ambient 0 diffuse
> 0, black, so form isn't really a concern- I just want to give the
> impression of a cheering crowd. Can 3.5 do this without sending
> rendering speed down the loo?

3.1 can easily.  Get a bunch of gifs or PNGs of people.  Load them into a paint
program.  Paint
their background with color #0 from the
palette.  Ensure that everything else is another color.

Now apply each of these images to a polygon, using them as material
maps.

polygon { 5, 0,x,x+y,y,0
  material_map { png "dude01.png"
  texture { pigment { rgbt 1 } }
  texture { pigment { rgb 0 } }
}

This will make color zero a fully transmitting texture and all the
other colors a dead black.

If your starting picture already features a crowd, this will be
easier; then you need fewer polygons.

Hope this helps,
John
--