POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Reflections : Re: Reflections Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:15:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reflections
From: Kari Kivisalo
Date: 23 Oct 2001 12:24:01
Message: <3BD599A3.227EF760@engineer.com>
Jaime Vives Piqueres wrote:

> > No, this is not what happens in reality. The energy arriving
> > from an object when viewed through a constant space angle stays
> > the same because the observed area (and energy) on the object
> > increases when viewed from greater distance. The 1/r^2 attenuation
> > and increase of observed area cancel each other out. The brightness
> > (pixel values) of surfaces is not a function of distance.
>
>   Yes, you are absolutely correct. But we are missing one point here.
> That's for theorically perfect surfaces!

No. How the energy get's emitted or how it's distributed spatially
doesn't matter. Surface properties are irrelevant, only the emitted
energy matters. The emission can be from gas, laser, wood, water
fog or anything that emits light via radiosity, transmission, reflection
or diffuse emission from direct lighting.

Put a sample of linoleum in a test bench and measure it's photometric
brightness at various distances. It will take a material considerably
more exotic than linoleum to break the laws of physics :)

Kari Kivisalo