POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature idea: Compile to data file option : Re: Feature idea: Compile to data file option Server Time
7 Aug 2024 07:17:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature idea: Compile to data file option
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 20 Oct 2001 14:35:16
Message: <3BD1C403.BEFB9C01@gmx.de>
Ze!nPs### [at] yahoocom wrote:

> See, the way I envision povray SDL working is like postscript- except
> for 3d graphics.
>
> Povray should allow for including an image directly into the source
> file.

Note that this would blow up the size at least by factor 3-4 with ascii.

> So that everything can be collapsed into a single file, including all
> the images and the include files that everyone might not have.

I'm still not sure what you would gain with that.  If the include files
are your own, you can easily put them together by hand since you probably
know which ones you use.  If not, there are important copyright issues you
will have to think about, not everyone will allow you to put his include
files in such a package.

> [...]
> Perhaps there was a standard binary equivilent for each object - such
> as mesh2, which would greatly benefit from say, being able to have a
> triangle mesh binary file that you can call directly into a scene
> using an #include directive or something similar.

Remember that floating point numbers in binaries are not platform
independant.

> Sure all of this can probably be done by hand, but that's not the
> point. The point is not having to do it all by hand and just having a
> single button you can press that will compile it into a single
> collapsed file suitable for distribution, without all the problems
> that come with requiring multiple files to render a scene.

I think if you find out the included files with the code Thorsten posted
(or with a parsing protocol like i suggested) and automatically zip these
files together, this would be not more work than a hardcoded function
inside POV and it would be much more flexible.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>