POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Dynamic Normals : Re: Dynamic Normals Server Time
7 Aug 2024 09:25:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dynamic Normals
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 14 Oct 2001 07:41:31
Message: <3BC979EB.4730E1B8@gmx.de>
Warp wrote:

>   I don't think there's anything wrong in a texture knowing the normal
> vector of the object at the evaluation point. I can't think of any reason
> why this would be a bad thing.

Agreed, although of course these patterns are not defined apart from
directly on the surface and therefore can't be used for other than
texturing purposes.  For exactly the same reason warps and transformations
don't work with the slope pattern.

Something different that i won't consider as a good idea is using the
normal perturbation in a pattern, like done in the AOI patch:

http://martial.rameaux.free.fr/mael/aoi.html

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>