POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV 3.5 on Linux!!!! : POV 3.5 on Linux!!!! Server Time
7 Aug 2024 09:19:24 EDT (-0400)
  POV 3.5 on Linux!!!!
From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 13 Oct 2001 04:18:10
Message: <3BC7F895.A52AD016@geocities.com>
It's not the release of the official version yet.   :-(

However, I did just install WINE on my system tonight. I then tried to
install the Windows version of 3.5 beta. The installer hung at the last
steps, but after a bit of hacking..... it RUNS!!!!

RedHat 7.1 with latest updates.
WINE from the codeweavers-wine-20010626-4.rpm package
 (I used Ximian's red-carpet updator and just subscribed to the
CodeWeavers channel)

I got someone to export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_CURRENT_USER
registry entries for their Windows install ofPOV-Ray 3.5. Hacked them a
bit to change to my drive setup, then imported by running Win98's
regedit.exe from WINE.

I couldn't open a file in the editor, but I could start renders from the
command-line. It runs slow, but hey, at least it runs.

What this means for me is that now I can test the Mesh2 output from the
model converter I'm writing, and be sure that UV mapping is coming out
OK, etc.

--
Jon A. Cruz
http://www.geocities.com/joncruz/action.html