POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Question to Kari about his glassware : Re: Question to Kari about his glassware Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:18:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question to Kari about his glassware
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 11 Oct 2001 13:45:00
Message: <3BC5DAC7.A477A8CD@unforgettable.com>
Warp wrote:

> Nekar Xenos <j-p### [at] citywalkcoza> wrote:
> : Talking about specular highlights, I was considering removing them from my car
> : and simulate it with an area light and/or looks_like. Would this work?
>
>   The problem with reflection is that it's linear. This means that if you
> have a reflection 0.1, then *everything* which is reflected is multiplied
> by 0.1. This means that a "light source" (with a looks_like object) of
> color <1,1,1> will be multiplied by 0.1, so only <.1,.1,.1> is reflected.
>   However, in realitity bright light sources are reflected in polished surfaces
> more than dim light.

I suspect that what's really happening is that the light sources being
reflected are much brighter than we think they are. In POV-Ray,
everything eventually gets clipped at 1, so there's a tendency to not
use anything brighter, but that light source might realistically be
closer to rgb 30.

I wonder what would happen if Kari's dynamic range tricks were used in a
scene with shiny objects, if it would create "realistic" reflections...

-Xplo