POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : megapov 0.7: all determinants too small : Re: megapov 0.7: all determinants too small Server Time
8 Jul 2024 16:27:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: megapov 0.7: all determinants too small
From: Nicolas Calimet
Date: 10 Oct 2001 13:42:58
Message: <3BC488A1.86F78915@free.fr>
Hi Lothar  ;o)

> all determinants too small

	As you mention later in your message, this is a problem related
to mesh2 and triangles that carry a texture at each vertex. This question
has been asked by Warp in this group [message of 2001-06-28] and I posted
an answer - a bit late actually.
	The code was designed for interpolating 3 colors between the corners
of a triangle, as written by A. Philippsen (you might know him: author of
the DINO software). Later, Nathan Kopp improved the code to get full texture
interpolation instead of colors only. But the code is rather not optimized,
and some times you have a small problems that give this message. This most
probably happen with "degenerate" triangles (part of them include triangles
that have 2 or 3 identical vertices). IMHO this message can thus be simply
ignored, it won't affect rendering.

> In addition to that it seems very slow. I don't know whether this is a
> related error or whether mesh2 can get slow.

	On my pov4grasp page I did extensive benchmarks using mesh2 and
interpolated-color-textures in mesh2 objects and did not notice particular
difference in speed (as compared to original mesh object + Chris Colefax's
macros, or my custom mesh object). I'm talking about rendering speed of
course, not parsing. See http://pov4grasp.free.fr/features/grasp_surface.php3

	For more discussions, don't hesitate to contact me by normal mail
(my adress at work is prefered).

*** Nicolas Calimet
*** http://pov4grasp.free.fr