POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Tessellation : Re: Tessellation Server Time
8 Jul 2024 16:54:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tessellation
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 10 Oct 2001 09:59:44
Message: <3BC4544D.F0DE453F@gmx.de>
Nekar Xenos wrote:

> I just want to make sure I understand all this tessellation stuff. If Warps
> tessellation patch is fixed, does this mean I could use it to generate code from
> blobs and primitives,etc that will be able to be exported to other 3d apps?

Yes, apart from some things:

- it's fairly slow (but faster than when done in SDL)
- the resulting meshes are not perfect, not even very 'good'.  This means
that tesselating a cube for example will either result in an ugly and
completely different shape or require quite a lot of triangles.  This is
far away from the 'ideal' tesselation with 12 triangles.
- it will require a lot more memory than the original povray scene.  Since
the tessellation patch uses simple tetrahedron marching and does not vary
the accuracy of tessellation according to distance from viewpoint or
curvature of surface, this will be quite problematic.
- infinite shapes can't be tesselated.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>