POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : new hardware configuration question ?? : Re: new hardware configuration question ?? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 17:28:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: new hardware configuration question ??
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 7 Oct 2001 13:22:15
Message: <3BC0901F.CE4DEF44@gmx.de>
Chris Cason wrote:

> [...]
>
> This 2gb limit is kinda scary when you consider that we have already seen
> at least one POV image that uses more than half of that ... for users of
> consumer Microsoft OS's, once scenes start hitting 2gb, no amount of RAM
> will help the problem (POV will just fail with a memory allocation error).

As long as Dell&Co continue selling Pentium 4 PC's with 128 Mb RAM there
is no danger. ;-)

I think you are quite right, even presuming that you can use full 4 Gb on
other OS's the limit will come at least within about the next two years.

Let's hope that at that time there are cheap 64bit systems available.

And BTW:
No application will ever need more than 16 Million TeraByte of RAM

(Anyone who wants to know how much you would pay for that?)

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>