POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Hey, Warp (Tesselation patch: the fire test) : Re: Hey, Warp (Tesselation patch: the fire test) Server Time
6 Oct 2024 12:29:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hey, Warp (Tesselation patch: the fire test)
From: Jérôme Grimbert
Date: 7 Oct 2001 05:45:52
Message: <3BC02718.1D0493F@free.fr>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

> > [...]
> >
> > I would say it's a design assumption which turns out to be wrong, sometimes:
> > The Inside test and the trace test may disagree;
> > They should not, but they do in some occurences.
> >

> Is it allowed to ask, *why* there is no intersection if one point is
> outside and the other inside?

All questions are allowed... Even "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin ?"
Getting the correct answer might be harder.

The code for inside and trace is always different (by design).
I guess that different algorithms can give different results.
(Just look at the sturm solver option for example)...