POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : new hardware configuration question ?? : Re: new hardware configuration question ?? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 11:25:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: new hardware configuration question ??
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 4 Oct 2001 16:24:34
Message: <3BBCC64A.9D663A8F@gmx.de>
Warp wrote:

> [...]
>   In practice some OS's have a 4 GB or 2 GB limit (due to 32-bit architecture).
> I don't remember what was the limit in Windows 9x, but it could be that 2 GB
> (this is caused by the OS using signed integers, which halves the maximum
> value). I don't think there's any worry about having 1 GB of memory (AFAIK).
>   (Of course Windows may have some braindead limit on how much memory a single
> process can allocate at a time which is much less than 2 GB; I faintly
> remember something like that...)

As i heard Windows 9x has serious problems with anything more than 256 Mb
(!!!). Windows NT/2000 should be able to use up to 2 Gb for Applications
(the upper 2 Gb are reserved for the system) Of course this is no first
hand information, only what i have heard.

From my own experience i have the impression Linux handles larger amounts
of memory much better than Windows.

Christoph

--