POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Isosurface and Noise3d : Re: Isosurface and Noise3d Server Time
7 Aug 2024 11:24:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface and Noise3d
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 3 Oct 2001 12:53:11
Message: <3BBB4340.54F4C217@gmx.de>
dav### [at] intrepidvoygrcom wrote:

> Hello everyone, foudn the world of ISO surfaces

This is *NOT* 'ISO surface' but 'isosurface'.  It has nothing to do with
the International Organization for Standardization.

> they are nice.. I am getting to the point where I understand them, however there is
a modifier that I can't quite get.  it's tne Noise3d.  I'm having just a little bit a
hard time trying this one out.. does anyone know of a link that has a "good"
explination or tutorial of the Noise3d function.

BTW, could you tell your newsreader to add line breaks? These overlong
lines are quite irritating.

> I'm using a ISO Surface like:
>
> isosurface {
>   function { x }
>   contained_by { box { <-1, -3, -1>, <1,3,1> } }
> }
>
> When I through the Noise Modifier in the function it does some ODD stuff..
> So I was just looking for a good explination of the noise3d function

The Povray 3.5 isosurface tutorial explains this in detail (if you use
megapov you will have to convert the syntax to megapov style of course).

See:
http://www.povray.org/working-docs/id000051.html#3_4_4

In short, what you probably want is:

  function { x - noise3d(0, y, z) }