POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : What and why is megapov : Re: What and why is megapov Server Time
7 Aug 2024 19:26:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What and why is megapov
From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 3 Oct 2001 01:28:15
Message: <3BBAA12A.51F8F3F1@yahoo.com>
"Bob H." wrote:

> Okay, thanks for enlightening me on that, I don't remember what other people
> had said about it so I envisioned mostly Gnome or KDE or Wine (never have
> used Linux BTW) being used with POV-Ray somehow in those.  I used the
> POV-Ray for DOS quite a bit years ago and it sounds a lot like how that was,
> although you probably have a better editor than MS Edit like I had used.  I
> fluctuated quite a bit between the DOS and Windows ones but CodeMax really
> ended that for me.

Well, I use emacs for POV-Ray. Aside from not having pretty graphical buttons,
it's probably one of the best full-featured IDE's available. I also use it at
work for C, C++, Java...

And it's not like my company can't afford other tools.  :-)

http://www.acc.umu.se/~woormie/povray/

JDE for doing Java in emacs is quite nice:
http://jde.sunsite.dk/

But the main thing is that JDE's quick tour
http://jde.sunsite.dk/quicktour.html and it's users' guide
http://jde.sunsite.dk/jdedoc/html/jde-ug/jde-ug.html let you see a little what
one school of Unix/Linux users like.

Of course, there are more 'traditional' looking IDE's for Unix, but I find
Emacs fastest for my development.

http://anjuta.sourceforge.net/
http://www.slickedit.com/products/pr_products.php
http://www.jext.org/
http://www.metroworks.com/desktop/soltools/
http://www.metroworks.com/desktop/linux/

Well, actually, that kind of points out the general feel that people who use
Unix are all very different, and like to do things how they work for them, and
like the freedom to do so.

--
Jon A. Cruz
http://www.geocities.com/joncruz/action.html