POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Suggesting "specularless" lights : Re: Suggesting "specularless" lights Server Time
7 Aug 2024 11:24:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suggesting "specularless" lights
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 1 Oct 2001 05:47:33
Message: <3BB83C6E.D389E9A4@gmx.de>
Warp wrote:

>   As I said in p.b-t, it should be "specular on/off".
>
>   You say that it should be "specularless" for consistency with "shadowless".
> I disagree. The "shadowless" keyword syntax is a relic, and not very good.
> (Why there has to be a different keyword for light sources and for objects?)
>
>   So the problem is not with "specular on/off". The problem is really with
> "shadowless", which should better be "shadows on/off" for both light sources
> and objects (and "shadowless" and "no_shadow" should be removed or at least
> deprecated).
>
>   There's also another advantage of using "specular on/off": It contaminates
> less the already bloated namespace of the POV-Ray syntax. (And substituting
> "shadowless/no_shadow" with "shadows on/off" also reduces the number of
> reserved keywords by one.)

Interesting idea, although 'specular off' for objects would be quite
weird.  Another problem comes with the other no_* keywords.

no_image -> image off     would seem OK, but
no_reflection -> reflection off     would be extremely irritating since
it's not clear what reflection you actually turn off.

And now that we are talking about this stuff i would also find a
no_radiosity or radiosity on/off modifier for objects very useful.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>