POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Mesh2 Boning suggestion : Re: Mesh2 Boning suggestion Server Time
6 Oct 2024 13:15:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mesh2 Boning suggestion
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 1 Oct 2001 03:59:37
Message: <3BB82321.306EBD6D@gmx.de>
Glen Berry wrote:

> I'd like to see some sort of boning features available for the meshes
> I use with POV, and I don't even do animations. I'd like the ability
> to accurately deform 3rd party meshes for still images.
>
> Of course I *could* buy Poser, Rhino, or any one of several other
> commercial 3D packages, but POV-Ray is free. It would be terrific if
> there were some sort of practical way to accurately deform meshes
> (boning comes to mind in particular), without spending a lot of money
> on some external modeler.

Just like to point out that deforming meshes (meaning translating the
vertices in a certain defined way) is really not much problem in current
pov/megapov.  Just define a vector field in a user defined function or
pigment and use it to translate the vertices.  It will work like displace
warps for patterns.

I haven't used any character modelling packages at all therefore i can't
say much about 'boning' and the things required for that, but looking at
Rune's first proposal i think implementing a transform weighting method
would really be the first step (either in SDL or as a patch) Having this
function limited to meshes would be a major restriction (just imagine
blobs could be nicely 'boned' too)

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>