POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Mesh2 Boning suggestion : Re: Mesh2 Boning suggestion Server Time
8 Jul 2024 15:53:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mesh2 Boning suggestion
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 30 Sep 2001 07:34:27
Message: <3BB7041F.6258C744@gmx.de>
Rune wrote:

> [...]
>
> * Transforming the corresponding normals correctly is very difficult if
> possible at all.
>
> [...]
>
> * vtransform don't give access to the different parts of the transformation
> (which I named X, Y, Z and P), and thus the correct weighted average cannot
> easily be performed. If you insist that it can be done, please provide a
> macro that takes a weighted average of any number of transforms.

I don't see a reason why it's more difficult to do this in Pov SDL than in
c code.   Implementing your idea directly in Povray does require the same
calculations.

I do not say a function like you suggested is nonsense, but before writing
a patch for that it would be useful to try it in Pov SDL and see how it
works.

Concerning transforms: a method for weighting several of them could surely
be useful in many cases, something like:

transform {
  average {
    MyTrans1 weight 0.3
    MyTrans2 weight 0.5
  }
}

(although i'm not really content with the syntax)

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>