POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : POVGUI 1.5 : Re: POVGUI 1.5 Server Time
15 May 2024 03:59:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVGUI 1.5
From: Dave Dunn
Date: 26 Sep 2001 20:38:59
Message: <3BB2753C.66621E2A@aol.com>
Nekar Xenos wrote:

> >you are looking for a single
> > macro that will read any POV object and, using trace, convert it to a
> wireframe. It
> > is an interesting idea, but I am not sure if it is within my feeble powers.

> >>MyObject is supposed to be a CSG of primitives, blobs and other stuff. Yes I
> >>think it would be quite difficult.

This is not far from the idea that we were kicking around for julia fractals and
isosurfaces one night. The idea is to create a "box" of six grids, containing sphere
sweeps, exactly the way height_fields are implemented in POVGUI, but completely
surrounding the object. Using trace, the points would be translated to the point
where they hit the object. Points that did not hit the object would be deleted. I
never tried this, so I don't know if it would work or not, but it is a way to derive
wireframes from irregular objects.