POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Most common way to make POV files? : Re: Most common way to make POV files? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 19:23:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Most common way to make POV files?
From: Charles Fusner
Date: 24 Sep 2001 20:25:58
Message: <3BAFCF9A.2D85FEA2@enter.net>
Matt Savard wrote:

> I am wondering what is the most common way all of you build your POV files?
> Do you code it by hand? Create the models in a seperate program and export
> to POV format?
>
> matt

IMHO, the biggest mistake you can make is trying to pick just ONE
method of scene generation, as though you'll ever find a perfect
technique that makes all else obsolete. I myself have been learning
to incorporate Moray for general scene building, Poser for people and
animals, Rhino for free form shapes, Leveller for landscapes, and
of course, hand coding for anything that either can't be done in
a modeller (they're always a step behind the latest release) or
can't easily be done (like algorythmic or programmatic arrays of
scene elements).

The trouble is that in most cases, a specialty modeller is only
really good at its specialty. One of the killer power points about
POV-Ray is the sizable array of different modellers which can be
adapted to use with POV (proof positive that the POV-Team
chose wisely in not annexing an "official" modeller to the the
rendering engine and thereby discouraging third party innovation),
and I feel anyone who restricts themselves to not using them is
missing out on this powerful advantage of POVRay.

At one time there was a popular predjudice (and may still be, I
don't listen to such silly whispers as I used to) that if you
didn't hand code your scenes, you weren't as technically proficient
as those who did. Well, frankly, working with numerous packages,
one of the first things I've learned is each package has a separate
learning curve, so I really have to say, I have humbly set aside
this predjudice myself, and today strive to learn to incorporate
as many input sources as I can half master in my meager hobbiest
state.

(Blast, did you know putting in your two cents worth now costs a
quarter? This inflation is extraordinary! <g>)
-
Cheers,
Charles
----
The Silver Tome ::  http://www.silvertome.com
0x06: I am NOT a RESOURCE. I am a free man!!
0x02: Aaaahahahahahahaha...