POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A question. : Re: A question. Server Time
7 Aug 2024 19:25:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A question.
From: Adrien Beau
Date: 24 Sep 2001 02:10:19
Message: <3BAECEA0.7D622196@sycomore.fr>
Timothy Cook wrote:

> Adrien Beau wrote:
> > Ron Parker wrote:
> > > As a mathematician, I would like to point out that I know lots of
> > > mathematicians who absolutely suck at programming.
> >
> > As a programmer, I would like to point out that I know lots of
> > programmers who absolutely suck at mathing.
>
> And...how do you program without math?  (Or, to be more specific, how
> do you write a programming language without math?  This would make
> programming a mathematician's toy at a more basic level.)

I didn't say I program without math.

Adrien Beau wrote:

> Not that I'm really bad as compared to most
> people, but I don't have the passion.

...means I can manage to survive some maths when it is needed.
But I won't do maths for the pleasure of it, contrary to
programming, which I'll sometimes do when there's no real
need for it.  :-)

That said, there are lots of eras where math is not really
required. It depends indeed on what you call programming.
You can manage to create a small graphical interface to
a database and code some logic into it without "hard" math.

--
Adrien Beau - adr### [at] freefr - http://adrien.beau.free.fr
 Mes propos n'engagent que moi et en aucun cas mes employeurs