POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Problem with TTF object, danish characters : Re: Problem with TTF object, danish characters Server Time
2 May 2024 02:56:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problem with TTF object, danish characters
From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 23 Sep 2001 12:32:40
Message: <3BAE0E2B.9609E395@geocities.com>
Nils Olav Kilen wrote:

> I noticed a problem in the latest 3.5 beta 2 release of Pov-Ray.
>
> I've always had difficulties using TrueType fonts (any fonts) with the

> OE, AA, ae, oe and aa, if your browser does not support these), but in
> the old 3.1 release i found a (very, very quirky) workaround for this,
> using a character mapping scheme for each. It worked, but barely.

Yeah. It was always a bit flakey. And some fonts are quite strange.

> Thsi facility is unsupported in vers. 3.5 beta. When reading the docs, i
> thought: Aha! The global 'charmap' keyword eliminates the need for this!
> Alas, not, i'm afraid. The following errors are present:

Oh no!

> When using ASCII character mapping, the danish letters are not
> supported.

Of course. ASCII only supports characters from 0-127. Those characters are
above that.

> When using UDF8 character mapping (with unicode formatting of the
> .pov-file, using notepad), the parser cannot parse the document
> successfully, rendering only garbage.

I hope you mean UTF-8. I haven't checked lately, but when I did before, NT
couldn't save a file as UTF-8. Only as UTF-16/UCS-2. Is that the case? Does
it only say "Unicode" when you save?

> Pease let me know if (and when) this matter will be attended to, or if
> there is another workaround I haven't been imagining to try out yet. (I
> feel I've thought of every possible way to get this to work, but I'm
> only so smart...*BG*)

Well, I still haven't run it (the Linux version is not out yet), but since
I coded the original patch that gave 3.1 support for Unicode and other
encodings, I'll be sure to take a look as soon as the source is released.
Unfortunately, I have gotten a little too familiar with the internals of
TTF fonts, so I'm sure I'll be able to help then.  :-)

On the other hand, once either the Linux beta gets released (which is
targed to accur before final release) I'll be able to run things through a
good set of tests and give the team some more feedback. Or I might have
time to go into Windows for a while.

--
Jon A. Cruz
http://www.geocities.com/joncruz/action.html