POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A question. : Re: A question. Server Time
7 Aug 2024 21:22:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A question.
From: Matthew Walton
Date: 19 Sep 2001 08:48:39
Message: <3BA89561.6090405@alledora.co.uk>
Jaime Vives Piqueres wrote:

>   POV is a "programmers toy" since the first day of its existance. If
> not, it would have included some interface. It was later that
> non-programmer users had managed to use it, because it was a very simple
> scripting language.
>
>   Anyhow, what it is turning to be is more like a mathematics toy, bcos
> for many new features you need to understand and visualize many math
> concepts (for isos, functions, etc..).

Yes, and it's brain-melting sometimes, but I feel it's worth trying to
find out how to do it. I've never met a modeller I liked, although I was
rather fond of Cinema 4D - shame about the price and the terrible
feature set.

>>I started back in the days of 2.2, when the requirements for using POV
>>were more 3D geometry, but now, with Isosurfaces, loops etc. it seems to
>>require programming skills to use to the full.
>>

>   How a scripting language would not require any programming skills?
> What you mean is that now it requires *more* programming skills? No!  To
> do the same things that these new features do, we needed always external
> programming, so these things always required programming skills!

Just now, we can program in POV itself rather than having to write the
stuff in C++ or whatever. Although I must admit, there are a few places
I'd like to see if it's possible to make POV's scripting language a
little nicer for the programming side of things - but then I am a C++
programmer at heart, and POV's #while...#end construct gets on my nerves
for some reason. It must be the # signs.

>>I am not a programmer, this is why I use Moray to put scenes together,
>>but this question was prompted by the number of people in the 'Most
>>common way to make POV files?' thread that have said thay they write, or
>>have written prgrams to output POV code.
>>

>   That shows that "programming" is the usual way for the "mean" POV
> user, as it was since it's firsts days.

It is, IMO, one of POV's good points. Having text-based, human-readable
scene files instead of something horrible and binary makes it possible
for anyone with some programming skill and some ideas to write utility
programs for POV. It's a fantastic thing, and it's the UNIX way :-)