POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A question. : Re: A question. Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:16:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A question.
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 18 Sep 2001 18:18:09
Message: <3BA7C828.569AEC6F@unforgettable.com>
Jamie Davison wrote:

> Is it just me, or does POV seem to be turning more and more into a
> programmers toy...
>
> I started back in the days of 2.2, when the requirements for using POV
> were more 3D geometry, but now, with Isosurfaces, loops etc. it seems to
> require programming skills to use to the full.
>
> I am not a programmer, this is why I use Moray to put scenes together,
> but this question was prompted by the number of people in the 'Most
> common way to make POV files?' thread that have said thay they write, or
> have written prgrams to output POV code.
>
> <sigh> Maybe I'm just bitter and twisted, but I'd still like to know what
> people think.

I see your complaint, but I don't quite understand your position. AFAIK,
you can do everything with POV-Ray 3.x that you could with 2.2. Evenb if
you lack the patience or ability to use many of the newer features, you
have lost nothing (and many of them are potentially slow, RAM-hungry, or
both, so in that way it's just as well).

The only solution to your complaint that I can see that would add value
to POV-Ray would be to turn it into something like a commercial 3D
package, with a dedicated modeller and a zillion preset textures and
such all wrapped up in a friendly GUI interface (and indeed some of the
people here would NOT want that, even if it was offered to them, because
it would get in the way of controlling their code). Can you really
expect that from a free product, coded by a handful of volunteers?

-Xplo