POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How do I... : Re: How do I... Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:16:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How do I...
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 8 Sep 2001 18:19:41
Message: <3B9A9A33.A8874287@unforgettable.com>
Timothy Cook wrote:

> Ok, here's some things that've been bugging me about raytracing for a while
> which might have simple work-arounds.
>
> 1.  Shadow fuzziness.

Area lights, as others have pointed out.

> 2.  Reflections in different type of materials.  With reflection, things
>     like highly-polished metal reflect ad infinitum.  Things like lineoleum
>     reflect things close to them, but become less reflective as object
>     distance increases, with the exception of lighting.

Blurred reflection. You might need MegaPOV for this; ISTR that blurring
was excluded from POV 3.5, in anticipation of a more comprehensive
texture/reflection/transparency/anything blurring solution, but I could
be wrong.

> 3.  Concerning Media settings (and their application in, of all things,
>     Moray).  Toying around with all the numbers is one thing.  Knowing
>     what they do to get a desired result is entirely another.  Help!!!!
>     Is there any documentation on what numbers in absorbsion/emission/
>     scattering colours and sampling/confidence/variance/ratio produce
>     good results to simulate specific media (i.e. undersea, dusty air)?

For most applications of media, you're probably better off using the new
media type in MegaPOV and POV 3.5; it gives fast smooth results without
needing to mess with the sampling settings, leaving you to figure out
how to best tweak the colors.

-Xplo