POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Bug Analysis? : Re: Bug Analysis? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:22:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bug Analysis?
From: Ken
Date: 8 Sep 2001 15:01:35
Message: <3B9A6BF7.7A8BD28@pacbell.net>
25ct wrote:

> Hi all,
>            ok, I've been playing with 3.5, and I'm aware of
> 'beta-test.binaries'. My problem is that I don't know what constitutes a
> 'bug', in other words I don't know what to 'report' in 'b-t. binaries'. What
> is the generalisation of a bug? I understand that it's something that
> doesn't 'look right'? Or, 'out of place'?
>
>   Is there a more specific answer?

A bug is a design problem in the program. A bug can cause the program
to crash or return the wrong results when a specific feature is used.

Something that doesn't "look right" may or may not be a bug. It may
be that you don't understand the feature or know what the results
should be. In this case you should ask about a feature up to the
point you know exactly how it behaves and if you are getting
unexpected results then you may post a bug report.

The b-t.binaries group is for binary attachments only. Bugreports
from a beta tester should go in povray.beta-test including a
complete description of the problem, details about your computer,
your OS, and if possible the smallest amount of code you can include
that will reproduce the problem. It will then be evaluated by
someone familiar with the program and its features and if it is
indeed a bug will confirm it as such. At this time the POV-Team
will add if to their list of confirmed bugs and try to fix the
program so that it operates correctly

--
Ken Tyler - POV-Ray Technical Assistance Group