POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Praise POV-Ray 3.5 ! : Re: Praise POV-Ray 3.5 ! Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:16:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Praise POV-Ray 3.5 !
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 5 Sep 2001 13:27:56
Message: <3B966116.BF3BE6F9@inapg.inra.fr>
Rune wrote:

> Now, anybody else have some praises they want to share? :D

From my pre-beta experience, some cool 3.5 stuff I've been using a lot but
didn't use in Megapov (so I won't mention radiosity, media, photons, trace()
etc.) :

- f_rounded_box : a little function hidden in the docs, meant to be used in
isosurfaces, much more flexible than the superellipsoid or than a CSG
equivalent. Because it can be deformed by noise or a pigment, it's great for
bricks and such.

- f_ridged_mf : aka ridged multifractal, great function for isosurface water or
mountains

- function {min(1,max(0,y))} is a non-repeating gradient y pigment. Extremely
useful because very easy to control and turbulence doesn't get in the way as it
does in a repeating pigment.

- pigment_pattern : makes it much more easier to create complex, nested textures
with full control of the turbulence

- light_groups : their implementation is much better and logical than in
Megapov. Lots of applications. For instance, it makes it possible to get
highlights on one particular object in a radiosity-only scene.

New 3.5 pics to follow soon, BTW.

G.

--

http://www.oyonale.com