POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : mesh in povray3.1/3.5 : Re: mesh in povray3.1/3.5 Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:13:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: mesh in povray3.1/3.5
From: gemelli david
Date: 4 Sep 2001 18:10:02
Message: <3B955132.60203@xlstudio.com>

> That means: the normal is calculated for each triangle, then the normals of
> all triangles sharing one vertice are averaged (--> normal of vertice),
> then all normals are compared and all tsame normals are deleted...right ?

the averaging is not always done...it is named 'smoothing group' in 3DS
MAX. if your object is not smoothed, the normal of the vertices are the
same as the face's one.

> face-indices: <0, 1, 2>, x,     what does the x(=0) mean ?
>
> face-indice: I do not really understand, what <2, 2, 2> means. Shouldn't be
> one value enough (for example "normal vector nr. 4"). What does the vector
> (normal vector x, normal vector y, normal vector z ?) mean ?

0 is : the first vertex of the face is the vertex number 0 in the vertex
array
1 is: the second vertex of the face is the vertex number 1 in the vertex
array

                 David