POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : mesh in povray3.1/3.5 : Re: mesh in povray3.1/3.5 Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:16:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: mesh in povray3.1/3.5
From: Ursula
Date: 4 Sep 2001 17:52:57
Message: <3B954D7E.E42491F3@gmx.de>

> > There seem to be different numbers of vertex-vectors and
> > normal-vectors. Why this ?
>
> If two or more vertex' have the same normal, the normal is written only
> once

That means: the normal is calculated for each triangle, then the normals of
all triangles sharing one vertice are averaged (--> normal of vertice),
then all normals are compared and all tsame normals are deleted...right ?

> > What are "normal_indices" and
> > "face-indices" (what's the number "0" in <0, 1, 2>, _0_ "?
>
> You can see the combination normal_index + normal as a kind of array,
> the normal index points to the normal that has to be used for a vertex.
> The face_indices point to the three vertex_vectors to be used for a
> triangle.

face-indices: <0, 1, 2>, x,     what does the x(=0) mean ?

face-indice: I do not really understand, what <2, 2, 2> means. Shouldn't be
one value enough (for example "normal vector nr. 4"). What does the vector
(normal vector x, normal vector y, normal vector z ?) mean ?