POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Meshes & polygon edges : Re: Meshes & polygon edges Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:12:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Meshes & polygon edges
From: Jérôme Grimbert
Date: 4 Sep 2001 03:12:06
Message: <3B947EC2.FA564B2D@atosorigin.com>
Andrea Ryan wrote:

> > An important caveat:  The mesh object used by POV-Ray uses only
> > triangles (although this may change in the future).  Fortunately,
> > other polygons are rather easily divisible into triangles.
> >

> It should be possible to have a version of mesh that has triangles and
> other polygons.  A program or a macro could convert the polygons to
> triangles.  Maybe it could be done during parsing or a program could
> convert the mesh, send it to povray, and then optionally delete the
> converted mesh to save space (so you don't accidentally delete the wrong
> version of the mesh instead of the temporary one).
> Brendan

Sound to me like adding a "polygon" option in the mesh, which would be
pretty simple if there was not the tricky overlapping polygon case.
Then come the eternal question: should it be done by the user or
the program (user-friendly or programmer-friendly) ?

Better wait for the 3.5 anyway before considering any patching...