POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : License Violation: 3D Render Studio 2000 : Re: License Violation: 3D Render Studio 2000 Server Time
7 Aug 2024 17:28:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: License Violation: 3D Render Studio 2000
From: Andrea Ryan
Date: 13 Aug 2001 00:05:30
Message: <3B77500C.4A80DDEB@global2000.net>
David Fontaine wrote:

> I also submitted a review, but I don't trust Overstock.com (whoever the
> hell they are) either.  Looking at the side frame, there's a whole host
> of Wingear shit for sale.

Disclaimer: *I am not a lawyer*

If they post the reviews at all, it would probably be on Monday, which
is tomorrow when their employees would come back from the weekend.  I
wonder if they would post such negative reviews of their actions.  If
they show up, the posting might be automatic.

Povlegal says that a 600 meg cd with pov on it must cost no more that
$48.00 or eight cents per meg.  Maybe they raised the price by just
compressing some stuff before burning or pressing it onto the cd and
used the uncompressed file sizes to figure the price.  I wonder where
they got that $99.50 retail price.  Maybe they figured it from the
uncompressed size and reduced it to make it look like a good deal when
it is not since povray is free.  Povray just can't fill a cd.  The links
to the "texture libraries and 3d models" would have to be numerous.
Maybe they added a modeler to fill up space.  The only way to tell is to
get one of these cd, or better yet, ask someone who did since it's not a
good idea to support them.

It is possible that they are software pirates?

Brendan