POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Fastest way of making polyhedra : Re: Fastest way of making polyhedra Server Time
8 Aug 2024 01:23:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fastest way of making polyhedra
From: David Fontaine
Date: 8 Aug 2001 00:56:41
Message: <3B70C41B.B29AE468@faricy.net>
Kevin Wampler wrote:

> David Fontaine wrote:
>
> > Hey, I read in the book
> > Chaos that some guy discovered another important irrational number, like
> > e and pi, that comes up as a sort of 'octave multiplier' (if you get
> > what i mean) in bifurcation diagrams and other chaosy stuff.
>
> Perhaps you are referring to the Feigenbaum constants?
>
> http://www.mathsoft.com/asolve/constant/constant.html
>
> http://pauillac.inria.fr/algo/bsolve/constant/fgnbaum/general.html

I think that's it.  4.669 looks awfully familiar, I think that's the one
in the book.  Of course the book has to talk about technological
limitations and how these chaoticians would spend hours generating these
numbers to a whopping four significant figures on their HP calcs, at
least until they could sneak in a few minutes on the Los Alamos Cray...
;)