POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Fastest way of making polyhedra : Re: Fastest way of making polyhedra Server Time
8 Aug 2024 01:23:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fastest way of making polyhedra
From: David Fontaine
Date: 7 Aug 2001 16:12:14
Message: <3B704954.E995E4E6@faricy.net>
Andrea Ryan wrote:

> I looked at my paper models of the icosahedron and the dodecahedron and
> saw the rectangles.  This should help with finding the coordinates of
> the vertexes.  It's almost magic.  Thank you!  :-)

Teehee

> The golden ratio is one of those mysterious irrational numbers.  As you
> said, its square is equal to the sum of one and itself.  Its reciproial
> is equal to its value minus one.  I wonder if there's an undiscovered
> equation that relates it to other constants like e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0.

If there is it must be something real obscure!  Hey, I read in the book
Chaos that some guy discovered another important irrational number, like
e and pi, that comes up as a sort of 'octave multiplier' (if you get
what i mean) in bifurcation diagrams and other chaosy stuff.

> I have seen the number called the golden mean.  It is because a golden
> rectangle has a mean ratio between its sides and not extreme ones?

I dunno.  Probably has to do with Fibonacchi.