POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Question on bounded_by and shapes2 : Re: Question on bounded_by and shapes2 Server Time
7 Aug 2024 17:21:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question on bounded_by and shapes2
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 6 Aug 2001 22:41:30
Message: <3B6F2B40.1D3B5C1@peak.edu.ee>
"Tom A." wrote:

> Should I add bounding to the shapes in shapes2 like the Tetrahedron,
> Octahedron, etc, that are built up of plane objects?  Or, would the
> program handle it automatically because they are csg?  I found the help
> text a bit confusing on that part.

If they are made up of planes using the "intersection" CSG, you might
get speed improvements by adding manual bounding. AFAIK operations like
"intersection" and "differtence" usually don't yield the optimal
bounding automatically.
Of course this only works if you can come up with a fairly good bounding
box manually - perhaps not terribly hard for polyhedra, if you know your
trigonometry.

--
Margus Ramst

Personal e-mail: mar### [at] peakeduee