POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : HF height: bug report : Re: HF height: bug report Server Time
6 Oct 2024 10:57:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HF height: bug report
From: David Fontaine
Date: 5 Aug 2001 17:41:21
Message: <3B6DBB69.3DA0F6F0@faricy.net>
Warp wrote:

>   A good compiler would issue a warning there (because the condition is
> always false) and the bug would have been located immediately.
>   However, as the POV-Ray source code issues about 10000 warnings I suppose
> that no-one has full warnings turned on in their compilers (or if they have,
> this specific warning gets buried under all the other 9999 ones).
>
>   Warnings are always important and they shouldn't be taken lightly. This
> ideology has not been followed in POV-Ray.
>   Fortunately now that POV-Ray will be written in C++ it will be possible to
> completely get rid of all warnings (C++ allows getting rid of certain
> warnings the C version has and you can't do anything about it: Unused function
> parameters: Just don't give the parameter a name).

POV gives about 10000 warnings on what warning level?  I keep my copy of
msvc on level 3.  On level 4 (highest) I get tons of crap I don't care
about like "assignment in conditional expression."  I know, that's what
I want!  On level 3 though I always try to get rid of the warning
messages my code makes.

But then, is msvc a "good compiler"?  ;)

(ya know, like "if( !(fil = fopen(...)) )")